Frank was appointed as pastor in May 2016 and came from Somewhere, KY.
Christine was appointed as secretary in March 2003. She has been a member of THBC since 1988.
Placeholder was appointed as treasurer in June 2017. She has been a member of THBC since 1997.
Here will be a list of all of the names of our current Deacons
Here will be a list of all of the names of our current Trustees
On March 27, 1920, nineteen Christians who were members of other churches and nine who had come by experience and baptism met in the old Methodist Church building and organized the Temple Hill Baptist Church. This building then stood across the Paul Nuckols Road on the south side of the current church building. The newly organized church met in the old Methodist Church building for two years. By February, 1922, the 28 charter members had increased to 70. In August, 2011, there are approximately 500 resident and non-resident members.
From the early days of organization, Temple Hill Baptist Church has demonstrated a strong missionary zeal and vision. The church became a member of the Barren River Association and retained membership until 1953. In October, 1953, Temple Hill and several other missionary Baptist churches organized a new association, the Monroe Baptist Association. The churches forming the Monroe Association all felt led of the Lord to continue to be involved in the cooperative mission efforts of the Southern Baptist Convention and the Kentucky Baptist Convention.
The church has ordained six men to the gospel ministry since its beginning. They are Brother Walter Ward in 1947, Brother Bill Jones and Brother Whitney Starr in 1955, Brother James Jones in 1956, Brother Con McGuire in 1973 and Brother Michael Richey 2012.
In the early days of Temple Hill Baptist Church, services were held only one weekend each month. A worship service and business meeting was held on Saturday afternoon followed by another worship service on Sunday morning. In November, 1942, the church began meeting twice a month, and in September, 1956, the church began to meet every week. Presently, the church has Sunday School, Sunday morning worship, Training Union, Sunday evening worship and Wednesday evening Bible study, in addition to several special group activities.
The commitment to growth of the church has contributed to several periods of building. The original lot on which the first building was constructed cost $300, and the first building (located on the south side of the current sanctuary) was constructed for $4500. In 1952 the church added seven Sunday School rooms to the original auditorium at a cost of $8000, and in 1966 two additional Sunday School rooms were added and the entire building was bricked. In 1973 construction was completed on a new education wing plus the addition of a choir loft, baptistry and other improvements to the auditorium at a total cost of $44,000. In 2006 the church began construction of a new sanctuary, with a large fellowship hall and kitchen in the basement at a approximate cost of $916,500, which included the construction, the furniture and the fixtures. An elevator was added later. On August 21, 2011, a note-burning celebrated God’s blessings to the church. The church has owned two parsonages. The first was purchased in 1963 for $12,000, and in 1979 a new parsonage was constructed on the Old Methodist Church property at a cost of $71,160.22. In every project the membership donated many hours of labor and much material.
The Lord has always blessed and added to the church, but three revivals of exception stand out in the memory of the early membership: the revivals of 1920, 1931 and 1934. During the 1920 revival there were twenty-six people saved, almost doubling the membership of the young church. In the 1931 revival there were thirty-two making professions of faith, and the revival of 1934 saw thirty-eight baptized at the close of the meeting. The full impact of this number of decisions must be measured against the size of the church at that time. In 1931 the membership was approximately 140, and in 1934 it was approximately 180.
The Sunday School has also played an important part in the life of Temple Hill Baptist Church. At the second business meeting of the church after its founding a Sunday School was established. Bro. W.L. Buckley was the first Sunday School Superintendent overseeing five teachers and a secretary/treasurer. Church Training was added later in the early thirties. Some years later Vacation Bible School was added, and in recent years it has grown tremendously as a teaching and outreach ministry of the church, with classes for all ages – nursery through senior adults. In 2011 at the end of VBS, eleven had been saved, and thirteen joined the church, either by baptism or by letter. In May of 1939 the church’s first Women’s Missionary Union was organized with 12 charter members. These Baptist women have lead in the mission education of the church through the promotion of the special mission offerings as well as the organization of Mission Friends, Royal Ambassadors and Girls in Action. In 1964 the Brotherhood was formed, and this group and the WMU encouraged the church to maintain its commitment to missions. Temple Hill Baptist Church presently contributes approximately 18 percent of its offerings to all mission causes: local, association, state, national and international.
As the will of God unfolds before us, our history will continue to be made and recorded. May we be found doing His will when our Lord returns.